Peacocks Take Over Conway Neighborhood

Ok. It’s not necessarily news. This has been around for years, and in researching, the only thing I could really find was a Topix.com convo about the situation. A friend of mine lives in the Conway neighborhood and one of the first times I went over to his house a few years ago, I was dumbfounded when I had to navigate through a herd(?) of peacocks. Yes – PEACOCKS!

I’ve been wanting to post about this for the longest time! It’s by far one of the oddest things I’ve ever encountered, and to this day, every time I go visit said friend at their house, I go with trepidation…for fear of the attack of the peacocks.

Does anyone have any info or insight about how these peacocks ended up here? Or why they chose this particular neighborhood?

Out and About

Out and About
At most, I’ve seen probably 30 or more taking over the neighborhood. At this specific time there were only a couple out. They don’t do any damage that I know of, peacocks just aren’t the “pets” you’d normally expect to see roaming freely in a city community.

Tags: , ,

Categories: News, Out and About

7 Comments on “Peacocks Take Over Conway Neighborhood”

1. Friday, 16 March 2012 at 5:58 pm #

Let me tell you, these are annoying as anything. I live in Conway and hear these shrieks of a bird. Their feathers are not worth it.

• Monday, 19 March 2012 at 2:46 pm #

I will admit their “call” is a bit strange, and visiting the neighborhood when all of the peacocks are out (are they called a “herd” or what?), but the general sentiment I’ve heard from residents is they don’t mind sharing the territory with their “visitors.”

2. Thursday, 22 March 2012 at 7:13 am #

It’s a muster.🙂 (I looked it up; I didn’t know it off the top of my head, lol.)

• Thursday, 22 March 2012 at 8:15 am #

A muster? Good to know. That’s the first new thing I’ve learned today!

3. Kim woodham
    Saturday, 1 September 2012 at 1:08 am #

I have driven through the area and think the peacocks are wonderful!! They are “Old Florida” and too bad they are not in many other neighborhoods. They are beautiful. They have been there for many, many, years and whomever devices to live in the area needs to accept them because the neighborhood was theirs first. Love the peacocks!!!

4. Max Puglisi
    Sunday, 9 December 2012 at 11:35 pm #

I know this feed is old, but I think Kim Woodham is incorrect in that they are “Old Florida” native animals. I grew up in the Conway area and have seen these birds for 20+ years. I have heard from multiple sources that the reason they live in one Conway neighborhood surrounding Lake Tenessee is that sometime about 30 years ago, there was an old peacock breeder living there and when he died, they continued to thrive around the old home. You are right in that there are about 30 and their shrieks are horrible! The residents at the time (and assumably at present) agreed to let them continue living there for the beauty they brought to the neighborhood, but they have been known to cause some damage. They have scratched car paint, damaged houses (they’ll sleep on your roof!), and have definitely shown aggression when threatened in their territory. I think the combined effect of their territorialism and the busy-ness of Conway and Michigan roads surrounding, they don’t attempt to leave. Enjoy at a distance!🙂