Central Florida-Grown Superstars

When I moved to the Central Florida about 10 years ago, it was being touted as “Hollywood East” (or something similar to that). I’ve been out of the entertainment loop for quite some time now so I don’t know if that still holds true, but I’ve yet to see any really big movies filmed & produced here, or see any huge celebrities migrate to the area.

Why did I bring this up? Well, I was watching television recently and saw an interview with singer/actress Mandy Moore, who hails from one of our ‘hoods. This led me to thinking about some of the other more well-known celebrities to come out of the Orlando/Central Florida area.

Carrot Top

Here’s a collection:

> Carrot Top
> Mandy Moore
> Delta Burke
> *NSYNC
> Wayne Brady
> Cheryl Hines
> Lou Pearlman

I’ve actually seen both Carrot Top and Lou Pearlman out-and-about…separately; they are both gross. Lou, of course, is now locked-away in jail so this “sighting” was a couple of years back. I also used to know exactly where *NSYNC’s JC Chasez lived (which I’m sure would’ve been information worth tons of money to many, many girls at the time).

Have you ever had a “celebrity spotting”? Do you have a favorite Central Florida-bred celebrity? If so we’d love to hear about it.

Tags:

Categories: Entertainment

6 Comments on “Central Florida-Grown Superstars”

1. Friday, 28 November 2008 at 6:35 pm #

Does Tampa count? If so, my favorite C FL-bred celebrity at the moment is Joanna Garcia (Privileged, Reba). Her show is awesome but what I really love about her is the down-to-earth attitude and strength of character that shines through in her interviews.

I’m terrible at putting faces with names so it’s possible I’ve had multiple celebrity spottings (that sounds dirty) but the only one that sticks out is Joey Fatone and his family at the airport. We were on the same LAX to MCO flight and Joey stood next to me at baggage claim. And he only stood out because his mother(in law?) and wife kept annoying me by invading my personal space to talk to him . He did look “familiar” to me (‘NSYNC fans will hate me for admitting it was because of his The Singing Bee hosting gig) but I wasn’t sure it was him until some guy approached him and handed him a business card and noticed other people approaching his wife and daughter. I don’t know how they do it… I was cranky and sleep-deprived from our red-eye flight but they smiled politely and were gracious to everyone wanting their attention.

2. Friday, 28 November 2008 at 7:03 pm #

@Rae I love the actress Joanna Garcia! Do you know if she’s from the Tampa area? Or was it just coincidental that you saw her there.

I’ve seen Joey Fatone around before. He’s definitely a staple of the “Orlando scene” (if there even is one), along with Chris Kirkpatrick.

3. Saturday, 29 November 2008 at 8:34 pm #

I have seen J.C. Chasez, but it was at the ATL airport…so I don’t think that counts.

The one semi-celeb I keep running into is Pat Williams from the Orlando Magic. Not only does he work with the Magic, but he is an accomplished author and speaker. I have seen him at the local Longhorn and Barnes and Noble. Crazy.

4. Saturday, 29 November 2008 at 8:56 pm #

@mattsanders Can’t say that I’m familiar with Pat Williams, but then again I don’t follow sports…including the Orlando Magic. He’s the coach, right? Kinda sad I don’t know this since I’m co-authoring a blog about Central Florida; I’ll try to keep-up.

Thanks for stopping by and sharing.

5. Sunday, 30 November 2008 at 1:23 pm #

if you could photoshop a shirt onto carrot top, i sure would appreciate it.

6. Sunday, 30 November 2008 at 1:26 pm #

@wendiwinn LOL! Guess I shouldn’t mention, then, that I actually cropped the original picture — it didn’t really look like he was even wearing pants (if you get what I mean).