Orlando is probably one of the last metropolitan US cities to adopt a reliable, easy public transportation system. Sure, we’ve got LYNX, which I’m sure is a great service for those who need it, but that certainly doesn’t beat the convenience of hopping on a train or subway you would find in another city. You pretty much have to drive to get anywhere. And if you’re driving to “anywhere” chances are you own a car. And if you own a car it’s pretty safe to assume you have a tag…which needs to be renewed every year. I know…pain, right?!
Well, my birthday is this month and that means my tag is up for renewal. Not my most favorite thing to do but you many not know there’s a way to get your new tag without all the hassle. For the past few years I’ve renewed my tag from the comfort of my own home — and without having to speak to a single person. Did you know you have the ability to renew your auto tag online*? That’s right! No more pulling your hair out while waiting in annoying lines at the DMV.
I’m going to show you how to order your new tag in just 10 steps:
1. Visit the Florida Department of Highway Safety & Motor Vehicles.
2. Look for the “Go Renew” logo, which looks like this:
3. Click on the “Go Renew” logo.
4. Read over the specifications, check the “I Agree” box, and then click “Continue.”
5. Have your license number, social security number, or your auto tag number available for reference, and enter in the appropriate field. (NOTE: You only need one of these…not all.)
6. Enter your birthdate and the last four digits of your social security when asked for, then click “Continue.”
7. Once you’ve filled out all the requested information you’ll be prompted to “choose your service,” or basically what it is you’re here to do. That’s renew your tag (although you can also order a duplicate driver’s licence on this site).
8. Select method of payment.
9. Complete transaction.
10. Wait for your new tag sticker to arrive in the mail, usually within a few days!
The process is really quite simple and should take no longer than 15 minutes. Granted the site is not at all appealing to look at but if you can get past that the experience is pretty satisfactory.
Your auto tag actually renews on the first month of your birthday, not on your birthday. Just something to be aware of.
* Some situational circumstances may apply.